2017...Here we come
Since my last post I have started multiple posts and for various reasons I have not completed them. Here are some of the reasons.
1. We have 7 kids. I find myself spending most waking moments with the kids, at work, etc.
2. I can't decide what exactly to write. I wanted to tell you all about the exciting things we have been doing, but it gets overwhelming the long I wait, so now that is out of the question, and I think Katie does a better job of sharing our many adventures.
3. I would rather sleep than write...
I have settled on introducing you to our new family. The last year has been a whirlwind and it has been a blast.
Lets start with with the kids
Braxton: Braxton has been driving since last April and is indispensible when it comes to trying to get kids to and from all their activities. He was especially helpful during the summer taking care of all 7 kids on days when Katie and I both worked. He is currently in the midst of of the high school basketball season, and it has been fun watching him play. He is one of the most thoughtful and kind young men around (although I think Cade does a good job of poking the bear sometimes). He is quick to include everyone and makes a very conscious effort to make everyone feel included. We can't believe he could be on a mission in just over a year!
James: James has been commuting to Skyridge since November (thanks to a host of people that are helping shuttle him back and forth). He will get his license in less than 2 months and things will get a little easier for him and others, and we will have another driver to keep us on schedule. The most annoying thing about James, is that he has recently gotten taller...than me. This really is a disaster, he never stops reminding me, and so I have to remind him that I could still beat him up if necessary. He joined the rock climbing team at Skyridge and has even developed muscle or two...
Cade: Some of you may think it wrong to pick a "favorite" child, but if we did, it would be Cade. How can it not be when he feeds the dogs (without being asked), takes out the garbage (without being asked), volunteers to help whenever we are working on something, and generally helps out with everything. He and Davis play on a Junior Jazz basketball team that may be one of the most entertaining exhibitions of basketball I have ever seen. Cade will be getting his learners permit coming up at the beginning of March...watch out.
Davis: When Davis commits to something (Football in this example) he is unwavering in his dedication. I think he has gone to the rec center everyday to workout and prepare for football next year. He made the high school team as a freshman and next year should be exciting to watch him continue to improve. When Davis' and Cade's good friend recently passed away, Davis was one of the few kids to take on the role of comforter to their friend's parents. Experience and understanding goes a long way in learning to "mourn with those that mourn." What a great example he is to others.
Sam: So I forced Sam to play Junior Jazz this year. I have had better ideas. I feel bad because I am pretty sure I ruined this sport for Sam. At one point I was Sam's coach and I was yelling for them to do better, and yelling at them for doing a good job, and Sam stopped and said "Dad, we can't tell if you are yelling because you are happy or mad." I realized maybe I wasn't cut out to be a coach afterall, And Sam decided lacrosse was his sport, "because my dad doesn't know anything about it and can't yell at me." So true.
Luke: Luke started playing tennis in fall and is loving it. He also attends Atholos academy where they have an hour of athletics every day and gets some exposure to many different sports at school including badminton, tennis, field hockey and soccer. They even have turf inside the school, it is AWESOME! (I think I am still more excited about it than Luke).
Brittea: Most nights at dinner we do a little activity we call "High, Low, What do you know." where you share with everyone your high for the day. Your low for the day, what you learned and a blessing. You learn a lot about Brittea and her loving personality by her responses. Many days her "high" for the day is when everyone came home, and her "blessing" for the day is our family. She is so sweet and kind, it is quite the breath of fresh air, especially when compared to 6 boys. I can't help but feel a little bad that she has to put up with 6 boys, but no matter how annoying they get, she is still grateful for this family.
All the Kids: They all have handled this new life with patience and maturity. Some have moved away from their friends, others have had their life disrupted. They may complain...sometimes, and they may not be happy about everything we ask them to do, but if they are, most of the time we don't know it. We could not be blessed with better children (maybe I am bragging a little, and maybe I am biased, oh well...)
Now to the parents
Katie: I should probably dedicate an entire post to Katie and all that she does for our family, but I want to get a start today, especially because she left yesterday for a trip with her friends and I am acutely aware of how difficult this is without her. I should warn you that we speak pretty openly of Alisa and Bryan on a daily basis in our home, We have a room with many of their favorite things and memories (we call it our angel room), and we are fortunate to raise our kids with 4 parents instead of just 2. With that being said, as we remembered Alisa on her birthday, Jill (Alisa's mom) sent a message to Katie sharing a quote from a post Alisa wrote 2 years ago. "I have faith enough in the world at large to believe my kids will have a safe place to fall." I want to echo Jill's words and Alisa's, Katie and her family are that safe place. We have felt welcomed and loved in a way that I am not sure I imagined was possible. Katie has an unlimited ability to love, and especially those in our family including my three boys, she hugs them, she kisses them, and she even sings them to sleep (when they will let her). She is concerned with their happiness and their success and is dedicated to providing an environment of love and understanding (I am just concerned that they do their dang chores, and get their homework done.) I anticipate that I will get in a bit of trouble as I continue to open up our family experience to the world, so be it. I think Luke said it best on Tuesday night before Katie left, as she was tucking him in bed, he said to her, with a little twinkle in his eye, "hurry home, you are the only one that can save us from my dad." There is no question she is a calming influence in our life.
Josh: nothing new. still short tempered, impatient and hard on the kids. just hoping they turn out to be better than me (although I do wish I would be taller than one of them, pretty sure that isn't going to happen.)
Lastly
Linton/Byrge Family: We are a new family, we have barley known each other for a year, and yet we feel like a family. We have been blessed with amazing children, amazing family that love and support us, and some incredible angels to keep us in line. What a story. What an adventure. I am resolved to keep track of our adventures this year, whether anyone reads about them or not, I want our kids to look back and know the paths we have walked together.
1. We have 7 kids. I find myself spending most waking moments with the kids, at work, etc.
2. I can't decide what exactly to write. I wanted to tell you all about the exciting things we have been doing, but it gets overwhelming the long I wait, so now that is out of the question, and I think Katie does a better job of sharing our many adventures.
3. I would rather sleep than write...
I have settled on introducing you to our new family. The last year has been a whirlwind and it has been a blast.
Lets start with with the kids
Braxton: Braxton has been driving since last April and is indispensible when it comes to trying to get kids to and from all their activities. He was especially helpful during the summer taking care of all 7 kids on days when Katie and I both worked. He is currently in the midst of of the high school basketball season, and it has been fun watching him play. He is one of the most thoughtful and kind young men around (although I think Cade does a good job of poking the bear sometimes). He is quick to include everyone and makes a very conscious effort to make everyone feel included. We can't believe he could be on a mission in just over a year!
James: James has been commuting to Skyridge since November (thanks to a host of people that are helping shuttle him back and forth). He will get his license in less than 2 months and things will get a little easier for him and others, and we will have another driver to keep us on schedule. The most annoying thing about James, is that he has recently gotten taller...than me. This really is a disaster, he never stops reminding me, and so I have to remind him that I could still beat him up if necessary. He joined the rock climbing team at Skyridge and has even developed muscle or two...
Cade: Some of you may think it wrong to pick a "favorite" child, but if we did, it would be Cade. How can it not be when he feeds the dogs (without being asked), takes out the garbage (without being asked), volunteers to help whenever we are working on something, and generally helps out with everything. He and Davis play on a Junior Jazz basketball team that may be one of the most entertaining exhibitions of basketball I have ever seen. Cade will be getting his learners permit coming up at the beginning of March...watch out.
Davis: When Davis commits to something (Football in this example) he is unwavering in his dedication. I think he has gone to the rec center everyday to workout and prepare for football next year. He made the high school team as a freshman and next year should be exciting to watch him continue to improve. When Davis' and Cade's good friend recently passed away, Davis was one of the few kids to take on the role of comforter to their friend's parents. Experience and understanding goes a long way in learning to "mourn with those that mourn." What a great example he is to others.
Sam: So I forced Sam to play Junior Jazz this year. I have had better ideas. I feel bad because I am pretty sure I ruined this sport for Sam. At one point I was Sam's coach and I was yelling for them to do better, and yelling at them for doing a good job, and Sam stopped and said "Dad, we can't tell if you are yelling because you are happy or mad." I realized maybe I wasn't cut out to be a coach afterall, And Sam decided lacrosse was his sport, "because my dad doesn't know anything about it and can't yell at me." So true.
Luke: Luke started playing tennis in fall and is loving it. He also attends Atholos academy where they have an hour of athletics every day and gets some exposure to many different sports at school including badminton, tennis, field hockey and soccer. They even have turf inside the school, it is AWESOME! (I think I am still more excited about it than Luke).
Brittea: Most nights at dinner we do a little activity we call "High, Low, What do you know." where you share with everyone your high for the day. Your low for the day, what you learned and a blessing. You learn a lot about Brittea and her loving personality by her responses. Many days her "high" for the day is when everyone came home, and her "blessing" for the day is our family. She is so sweet and kind, it is quite the breath of fresh air, especially when compared to 6 boys. I can't help but feel a little bad that she has to put up with 6 boys, but no matter how annoying they get, she is still grateful for this family.
All the Kids: They all have handled this new life with patience and maturity. Some have moved away from their friends, others have had their life disrupted. They may complain...sometimes, and they may not be happy about everything we ask them to do, but if they are, most of the time we don't know it. We could not be blessed with better children (maybe I am bragging a little, and maybe I am biased, oh well...)
Now to the parents
Katie: I should probably dedicate an entire post to Katie and all that she does for our family, but I want to get a start today, especially because she left yesterday for a trip with her friends and I am acutely aware of how difficult this is without her. I should warn you that we speak pretty openly of Alisa and Bryan on a daily basis in our home, We have a room with many of their favorite things and memories (we call it our angel room), and we are fortunate to raise our kids with 4 parents instead of just 2. With that being said, as we remembered Alisa on her birthday, Jill (Alisa's mom) sent a message to Katie sharing a quote from a post Alisa wrote 2 years ago. "I have faith enough in the world at large to believe my kids will have a safe place to fall." I want to echo Jill's words and Alisa's, Katie and her family are that safe place. We have felt welcomed and loved in a way that I am not sure I imagined was possible. Katie has an unlimited ability to love, and especially those in our family including my three boys, she hugs them, she kisses them, and she even sings them to sleep (when they will let her). She is concerned with their happiness and their success and is dedicated to providing an environment of love and understanding (I am just concerned that they do their dang chores, and get their homework done.) I anticipate that I will get in a bit of trouble as I continue to open up our family experience to the world, so be it. I think Luke said it best on Tuesday night before Katie left, as she was tucking him in bed, he said to her, with a little twinkle in his eye, "hurry home, you are the only one that can save us from my dad." There is no question she is a calming influence in our life.
Josh: nothing new. still short tempered, impatient and hard on the kids. just hoping they turn out to be better than me (although I do wish I would be taller than one of them, pretty sure that isn't going to happen.)
Lastly
Linton/Byrge Family: We are a new family, we have barley known each other for a year, and yet we feel like a family. We have been blessed with amazing children, amazing family that love and support us, and some incredible angels to keep us in line. What a story. What an adventure. I am resolved to keep track of our adventures this year, whether anyone reads about them or not, I want our kids to look back and know the paths we have walked together.
Thanks for sharing with us
ReplyDeleteKathy Urry
I'll read. Thanks josh.
ReplyDeleteGlad to read the latest! Love you guys!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update! Yes, what a story. I'm so glad you seem happy. I'll definitely keep reading.
ReplyDeleteI definitely will read! I miss seeing all of you - even the dog.
ReplyDeleteI'll read too. We think about you guys and wonder how you're doing, and it's good to hear it's well :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the super update! Loved reading it! Love, Aunt Diane
ReplyDeleteBrought tears to my eyes! Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDelete-Felicia (Bryan's cousin)
Your Katie sounds like an Angel! You and your boys have been blessed! (And it sounds like Katie and her kiddos are just as blessed!) ����
ReplyDeleteI love it! I love hearing how your families are coming together. What wonderful people you are!
ReplyDelete